Yesterday I wrote a post How to Drive Traffic to Your Blog or Website and received engagement from you, Thank you for all the comments! Today’s topic is Reddit, Subreddits and What You Need To Know before you head out, make mistakes and possibly get banned. Yes, that can happen, Virginia.
Here are the steps I did.
- Register by creating a username, password and provide an email address in case you forget the password and enter the Captcha.
- Before we can submit our own posts to a Subreddit, first we must engage by upvoting or downvoting others post within the Subreddit. We must also contribute by commenting on others post which increases our Karma. Think of Karma as reputation points. The more Karma we have, the more we are allowed to do and the more respected we become within the Subreddits.
- When commenting, keep in mind to be respectful and polite at all times. No foul language, no bullying or harassing, although proper criticism is allowed in most of the Subreddits. For instance, I found one poem to comment on and was very weak and did not make sense at all, another user said the same thing in his or her comment. I found one line that I did like and told the person so, but I did not upvote or downvote because I was on the fence with that one.
- I upvoted at least four posts and commented on two posts, I did find out that you have to wait for five to ten minutes before you can make another comment or you will get a message to wait so many minutes before you can submit your comment. Keep that in mind.
- Find a Subreddit that correlates to the post you are submitting. On the right side of the screen, you will see the Rules or titled Do’s and Don’ts. Also, in most of the Subredits. within the rules or guidelines you will read no links allowed of any kind only text with images or they may not allow images. Pay attention to the rules of that Subreddit.
- Once you have found a Subreddit to you taste click the subscribe button if not already subscribed. Locate the Submit A New Link button on the top right side of your screen. Follow the directions. (Note: I did wait til the next day to submit my own post)
- Be careful of choosing the title, some of the Subreddits will have guidelines for that too.
I listed the steps that I did and I hope this will help you.Also, I noticed that when I did make comments on those two posts my Karma was not updated till the next morning or maybe while I sleeping. So keep that in mind, it is not immediate sometimes.
Here is a video I made showing the inner working of Reddit and where to find certain features.
Find out more information on Reddit by visiting
NOTE: Once I re-read the rules again the vote up was referring to self-voting up not on other users
Also check this video out, it provides the troubles this person had with Reddit.